Gear Lust!

Anything and everything related to stills photography, film or digital.
Richard Olpin
Site Admin
Distinctions: LRPS

Re: Gear Lust!

Postby Richard Olpin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:32 pm

There's a man in a van RIGHT NOW, en-route from Gloucester with my new camera. Bought myself a 5D Mark3 which I've been lusting after for the last 6 months. Had a few people asking what's so special about it when I've already got a Mark II, and the simple answer is that it addresses all of my 'wish list' items from Mk2, and more..
  • Virtually the same (astounding) autofocus system as the 1Dx
  • Massive improvement (up to 2 stops better) low light high ISO performance. ISO 12800 on the Mark III is about equivalent to ISO 3200 on my Mark II
  • Intelligent auto ISO function with minimum shutter speed feature
  • HDR mode
  • Better bracketing options
  • Multiple-exposure mode. (Useful for stacking dark-frames for long exposure night shots)
  • Faster burst speed of 6fps (missed that from my old 40D, especially when shooting wildlife)
  • Rating button - Add EXIF star ratings in camera
  • Dual slots - CF and SD, so I can write RAW to the SD and small JPegs for previews to the CF card, which means I can get an Eye-Fi and tether to my iPad :-)
  • Built in eye-fi control in the menus
  • 100% viewfinder - one thing I'd really wanted having experienced this with my 7D owning students..

Paul Robertshaw

Postby Paul Robertshaw » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:52 pm

So, then, is it ias good as you hoped?

Paul Robertshaw

Postby Paul Robertshaw » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:03 pm

So, the Focus show is only a few weeks away and that's going to mean bargains galore. I've seen silly silly prices up there from some of the big box shifters like Jacobs and they do genuinely do big discounts at the show.

Anyone got their eye on anything in particular?
Next time you go to one of these things Rich, let me know, and me and Eleanor might just get down to it - as long as you can guarantee bargains, that is ;)

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:54 pm

Next year's Focus show is 3-6th March.

Top tip. Don't go on Sunday!! It's a nightmare with all the randoms there. I'll be doing my usual plan again, going on Mon 4th and Weds 6th.

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:56 pm

So, then, is it ias good as you hoped?
Due to a minor logistical issue far too boring to discuss, I've not got it yet! Suffice to say the original order is now winging it's way back to the supplier and I'm getting another one from my most excellent local store (www.cliftoncameras.co.uk) early next week.

Expect a full update on it's awesomeness very soon.

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:35 am

So, what's on your current wish list then folks?

Cameras, lenses, software, random toys?

Barry

Postby Barry » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:34 am

So, what's on your current wish list then folks?

Cameras, lenses, software, random toys?
Wow! this came as a surprise. Last comment back in October 2012. Still at least it keeps everyone on their toes. Well some people I guess.

I find myself in the enviable position of having a wish list in my head and then finding a way to turn it in to reality as quickly as possible. My recent activity went as follows -

Trade in D300s & D700 for a D800 (it does it for me all you Canon users).

Then within weeks added a MeiKe power grip - cost me about £40 as opposed to the Nikon one at £285. Can I recommend it? Yes most certainly it fits perfectly, all actions work properly and it does help with those portrait shots.

As I tend to be all over the place when shooting I had always thought that a GPS link would be kind of helpful. Well, following my theme above I bought an Opteka on camera GPS for about £35 (Nikon well over £200). If you've never had a GPS link I can recommend trying it out. Amazing just how much wandering we do while get just the right shot. The real beauty of it is that all the data is just automatically added to your Metadata and therefore every place gets picked up without any problems. Can't wait to see the significance of that when I go overseas again.

Of course it's not just the direct camera kit that you need to keep up to date. It's the peripherals. I've installed an Anker USB3 with 7 outlet hub to my system and added a new card reader that takes advantage of the extra speed. A Lexar USB3 dual CF and SD reader which will allow faster uploads to my library and, if necessary, simultaneous uploading. Now that is smart.

So all that just leaves me with the task of thinking what I need next.

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:15 am

The new 50mm Sigma 'Art' lens is looking particularly interesting at the mo..

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/50mm-f14-dg-hsm-a

The new 'Art' lenses are their premium quality glass and in tests that one's reviewing better than a $4000 Zeiss

If they do an 85mm in the same range I'll be having that in a heartbeat!

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:41 pm

I think the next bit of glass on my wish list is going to be the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, but I'm also getting itchy now to upgrade my little travel compact and get the new Fuji X30. My X20 will be up for grabs to the highest bidder!

Return to “Photography”