Ask me anything!

Anything and everything related to stills photography, film or digital.
Richard Olpin
Site Admin
Distinctions: LRPS

Ask me anything!

Postby Richard Olpin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:55 pm

(technical)

Come on then gang, lets hear some techie questions about photography. Anything you like!

Let's keep this thread for the simple questions which are likely to be a single post answer.

If it's a more comprehensive one, or you'd like to open a dialogue on a more involved topic then please start a thread as normal.

Phil Munyard

Re: Ask me anything!

Postby Phil Munyard » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:58 am

OK I got one.
if you know you are going to do some editing in photoshop, Is it best to still get the image as correct as possible in Light room (levels etc) and then export to photoshop or just go straight in and make all corrections in photoshop ?
I have tried both but seem to get better result when doing as much as I can in lightroom before sending it to photoshop. But that might be because I have only just started learning photoshop?

Phil Munyard

Postby Phil Munyard » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:10 am

I have another question :) . In regards to retouching moles (no not the small furry nocturnal type). Is there an etiquette? if some one has moles or birth marks is it rude to get rid of them in post(maybe the model or client likes them) or is it perhaps better just to fade them a bit?

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:19 pm

OK I got one.
if you know you are going to do some editing in photoshop, Is it best to still get the image as correct as possible in Light room (levels etc) and then export to photoshop or just go straight in and make all corrections in photoshop ?
I have tried both but seem to get better result when doing as much as I can in lightroom before sending it to photoshop. But that might be because I have only just started learning photoshop?
Yes, absolutely do everything you can in Lightroom first as that's all non-destructive and you're working with the maximum amount of data from the RAW file at that point.

Once you go into Photoshop you're into permanent/destructive edits on a lower bit-depth file..

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:21 pm

I have another question :) . In regards to retouching moles (no not the small furry nocturnal type). Is there an etiquette? if some one has moles or birth marks is it rude to get rid of them in post(maybe the model or client likes them) or is it perhaps better just to fade them a bit?
If it was a TF shoot, I'd politely ask the model the more general question 'have you got any particular requests or things you're sensitive about in editing?'. Don't be shy to say 'I see you've got a couple of moles, do you mind them being edited or would you prefer me to leave them as it?'

I do know at least one model who has a couple of small moles on her face and prefers them left as is.

If it was a paid shoot, do what you like ;-)

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:41 am

Come on then folks, the clue is in the title.. Ask me anything!

Helen S

Postby Helen S » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:06 am

Hi Richard

I have been asked to move a butterfly onto an angle in Lightroom. The direct rotation is to extreme. Can you move an item onto an angle without the use of the rotation left and right facility? Hope this makes sense!

Thanks HS

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:16 am

Hi Richard

I have been asked to move a butterfly onto an angle in Lightroom. The direct rotation is to extreme. Can you move an item onto an angle without the use of the rotation left and right facility? Hope this makes sense!

Thanks HS
Not entirely sure I get what you mean. You can rotate to any angle you like in the crop/rotate tool. Indeed, you can enter a rotation amount in 1/100ths of a degree increments in there, is that not accurate enough? ;-)

Are you perhaps confusing the right/left rotation arrows on the bottom toolbar or on the thumbnail frames which are intended only to rotate/flip the image in 90º increments to accomodate for cameras that don't have a rotation sensor in. That's not for fine control, that's what the crop/rotate tools are for.

Phil Munyard

Postby Phil Munyard » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:27 am

I got a good one. I have been really putting some time into my photoshop skills. I have been trying to get a good grip on the Pen tool I have watched tutorials where they use the pen tool to trace round the edge of an item and it looked really quick and accurate. but when I do it and try and adjust it I get all these lines and arcs the go all over the place(except for where I need it!). How does it work and what are those lines that pop out from the anchors?

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:12 am

(Sorry, missed this!)

Basically they're guide lines which show the angle that the curve exits from that point. See 'bezier curves' for more info on the general idea. The pen tool is a pain in the bum until you get the hang of it. The main thing is to keep your pen 'strokes' moving in the right direction and don't even bother trying if you're using a mouse!

Return to “Photography”