Shocking disregard for copyright...

Anything and everything related to stills photography, film or digital.
Richard Olpin
Site Admin
Distinctions: LRPS

Shocking disregard for copyright...

Postby Richard Olpin » Wed May 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Shockingly bad attitude from a young software graduate that posted a whole article on his blog about how to remove someones copyright watermark..

Facebook Software Engineer Teaches You How to Steal Copyrighted Images

According to his bio, Jesse Chen is a software engineer at Facebook and recent graduate of UC Berkeley. Jesse has a personal blog which we recently stumbled across that includes a blog post from 2012 that detailed how to go about stealing copyrighted images and removing watermarks.
The post starts off by congratulating recent college grads and expressing frustration about not being able to right click proofs of grad pictures (in order to avoid paying for them). But never fear, Jesse Chen and Jonathan Tien have come to the rescue with a tutorial to show you how to rip off the photographer who took them for you by bypassing the blocked right click and removing that “ugly copyright overlay” in Photoshop.
http://fstoppers.com/facebook-software- ... ted-images

Just take a look at the last paragraph to see how bad his disregard for the photographers intellectual property is..

Barry

Re: Shocking disregard for copyright...

Postby Barry » Thu May 29, 2014 7:39 am

Agreed. Such a terrible attitude. How does the metadata stand up in all of these actions. Is or can that be compromised as easily.

Animo

Postby Animo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:59 pm

I've just stumbled across this and am totally disgusted by it - I know I've had my copyright removed on quite a few pictures and it makes my blood boil. I think the worst case was when I photographed a huge fire from a local scrappy, I was the only person to get those shots as they were taken from the land where we live so nobody else was up there at the time - the local paper took the images and printed them the next night attributing them to their own journalist. I emailed them straight away and they admitted they were my pictures and promised an apology and credit in the following nights news but it never appeared. I have never purchased that paper again out of disgust for their disregard of the situation.
Ania Jones LRPS

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:19 pm

I've just stumbled across this and am totally disgusted by it - I know I've had my copyright removed on quite a few pictures and it makes my blood boil. I think the worst case was when I photographed a huge fire from a local scrappy, I was the only person to get those shots as they were taken from the land where we live so nobody else was up there at the time - the local paper took the images and printed them the next night attributing them to their own journalist. I emailed them straight away and they admitted they were my pictures and promised an apology and credit in the following nights news but it never appeared. I have never purchased that paper again out of disgust for their disregard of the situation.
Should have sent them a bill, a large one!

They've not just been cheeky, they've broken the law, and they know it..

Return to “Photography”