Virginia Water.

Anything and everything related to stills photography, film or digital.
Barry

Virginia Water.

Postby Barry » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Seeing that Rich has been dragging himself out and about recently I thought I would add a few shots from a walk I took around Virginia Waters.

A walk around the lake. by Traveller858, on Flickr

I guess that's it, for now.

Richard Olpin
Site Admin
Distinctions: LRPS

Re: Virginia Water.

Postby Richard Olpin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:30 am

I do really like the one of the bridge. I think that would make an excellent high-contrast mono shot too.

I really hate to be picky but... (Actually, no I don't. I want to help make your photos look even better!)

..the last two are not quite straight.

Both shots have a very slight (prob only about 1º) lean to the left and in any shot with open water that stands out a mile.

I think I've got a bit of a flipping autistic eye or something because wonky horizons and water lines scream out at me so hard I find myself distracted from seeing the rest of the shot properly because of it.

Edit: I did just check them both in Photoshop with the ruler tool.. 1.1% Damn my tech drawing eyes!

Barry

Postby Barry » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks Rich. Just what I require.

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks Rich. Just what I require.
Ah cool. I'm always cautious of being too picky with other peoples shots, but I do think it's important to point out some things that can make a big difference.

At our regular RPS meetings there are a few things which will get your pics ripped to shreds, the worst offender is blown-out highlights, which are the one thing which is considered inexcusable, the next thing which usually sets people off is wonky horizons. There's nothing like a bunch of old-timers getting wound up about nit-picking to really make my sunday mornings, especially when I've got up about 2 hours too early because they insist on having meetings at 10am on a sunday morning!

Personally I'm terrible at shooting straight, usually with a tendency to lean to the right (which I think is down to too much pressure on the shutter button) so inevitably I have to straighten them. When I crop, I always use the grid or the ruler tool to check.

Barry

Postby Barry » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Keep it coming this is what I need to know. Blown out highlights. Now that is another thing to watch out for. Trouble is there are so many people pushing the boundaries now a days that even the extraordinary seems normal. I'll try to watch out for these things though. So keep the info coming.

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:33 pm

I generally keep the highlight warning enabled on my camera so I get the little flashing indication on the LCD if anything is blown out. Little bits you can generally get away with and pull them back in software, but it's useful to know at the time of shooting..

Return to “Photography”