New kit, new software - The Results

Anything and everything related to stills photography, film or digital.
Richard Olpin
Site Admin
Distinctions: LRPS

Re: New kit, new software - The Results

Postby Richard Olpin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:50 pm

I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to seeing the next series of shots of the waterfall, with limited kit (yeah I bet!).
It won't be limited, just the minimum I need. Last time we went, not knowing the location I took way too much stuff and it was just a pain carrying my big bag all the way down the valley and back (about 4 hours walking). Next time I'm travelling very light. I'll just take my small sling bag with the camera + walkabout lens,ND filters and spare battery/cards, plus of course my tripod. Oh, and probably a pack of sarnies and a protein bar just in case I get peckish ;-)

Barry

Postby Barry » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:55 am

A little more playing with Nik. This time HDR Efex Pro2

St. Michael the Archangel, Warfield._HDR by Traveller858, on Flickr

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Was that blended from multiple images?

It works on the gravestones but there's something odd going on in the leaves which I'm assuming is ghosting from multiple frames?

For multi-exposure HDR to work you really need to be starting with rock-solid images which are identical in all but exposure. Any movement between the frames with throw it right off.

Here's an example:

Blended from the 3 images below: Normal, -2 stops, +2 stops
Image Image Image

To be honest though, I processed that one about 18 months ago but wouldn't need to do that now as the RAW processing is so good in Lightroom 4 that I could achieve an equivalent, if not better result from processing a the 'normal' image alone..

In fact, here's one I just tried as an example.

The window's not ideal, but that's just about 10 seconds shifting sliders in Lightroom. Since the v4 update it's made just about every other piece of software / plugin I had redundant. Best processing engine I've found, by a very long way.

Barry

Postby Barry » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:27 am

Yes. I agree about the leaves issue. The truth is as this was my first step into HDR I used the default selections in Nik which only requires one image. It then concocts what it thinks the variables are and hey presto. I certainly understand the need for all shots to be as close to mirror images as possible and that 3, 5, 7 or more images are used. However, at this stage in my processing cycle I'm not even sure I like the effects that are created.
One thing is for sure. I need to keep on exploring the software, whatever type that may be.
Your comments on Lightroom v4 are interesting as it was on my shortlist but I went down the Nik route. Mainly to keep things as simple and integrated as possible and I got a 15% discount. So perhaps I'll spend my time looking at your HDRs rather than messing up my own!!!

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Your comments on Lightroom v4 are interesting as it was on my shortlist
Just about everyone I know uses Lightroom now. Certainly everyone I know that makes a living from photography does anyway!
I went down the Nik route. Mainly to keep things as simple and integrated as possible and I got a 15% discount
Totally different things. The Nik plugins are just a small part of a bigger workflow. Lightroom is the hub from which everything else works. It would be fair to say that LR represents at least 95% of everything I do, any other plugins, or opening in the full blown photoshop are just a little bonus on top.

There is no way I'd have progressed as a photographer the way I have in the past few years without Lightroom. Everything else just takes way too long to be able to handle the amount of shots I take.

I'll stop using Lightroom the day they wrestle it from my cold dead hands! :lol:

Barry

Postby Barry » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:17 am

OK - so please elaborate a little more. I'm sure it will be of use to others as well as just me!!

Lightroom - how do you handle your photo imports? Library in Lightroom?

Aperture - although I could obviously choose to "edit" out in Lightroom but where would that leave my Aperture Library? I guess it would be reasonably easy to start a new library and just use the workflow from there. Resorting back to Aperture when needed.

Right at the moment cost plays a significant part in any decision to transfer to a new package. There is talk about Aperture bringing out V4. When that will come and how significant it will be remains mystery but for the moment I guess that is what I am waiting for. :!:

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:40 am

OK - so please elaborate a little more. I'm sure it will be of use to others as well as just me!!

Lightroom - how do you handle your photo imports? Library in Lightroom?
Yep, all my photos are imported into Lightroom, which stores the photos on my main 'photos' drive, subdivided into date-specific folders. Alternately you can have Lightroom add all the image files from any location on your computer, and it will simply add them to the catelogue whilst leaving them in their original location on disk.
Aperture - although I could obviously choose to "edit" out in Lightroom but where would that leave my Aperture Library? I guess it would be reasonably easy to start a new library and just use the workflow from there. Resorting back to Aperture when needed.
Well Lightroom and Aperture do the same job, all-in-one library management, editing etc. You'd use one or the other but it wouldn't make any sense to catalogue in one and edit in the other. If you're happy with your aperture workflow then I'd stick with it, OR import the pics from your old aperture library into Lightroom.
Right at the moment cost plays a significant part in any decision to transfer to a new package. There is talk about Aperture bringing out V4. When that will come and how significant it will be remains mystery but for the moment I guess that is what I am waiting for. :!:
I'm sure they'll update it sooner or later, as Adobe will with Lightroom. The last major update was March 2012 so I'd imagine there will be another before long.

Return to “Photography”