Frames and cropping

Anything and everything related to stills photography, film or digital.
Paul Robertshaw

Frames and cropping

Postby Paul Robertshaw » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:09 pm

So then, most photos I take are cropped someway, so don't generally conform to a1:1.25,1:1.3333or 1:4 ratio, so they don't fit into a standard 6x4,5x7 or 8x10 frame.

I know that you had to look after framing for your RPS stuff Rich, so wonder what your thoughts are?

I am considering a blank photoshop template in each size mentioned above with white, grey and black backgrounds, all at 300dpi (should it be higher?), and I can then just drop my cropped and processed files over the too. Does this seem like a plan?

Richard Olpin
Site Admin
Distinctions: LRPS

Re: Frames and cropping

Postby Richard Olpin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:33 pm

The vast majority of the time I tend to crop to one of the traditional ratios, though I'm also a bit of a fan of square crops, and also 2:1 and 3:1 for landcapey things. Given that most of that we do is likely to be seen in digital form it's not that much of an issue anyway, and if you're mounting larger images then you're likely to be cutting your own mounts anyway so it's not really a major problem.

For my RPS panel I had several crops:

Most were 3:2 as per my camera sensor, plus I had one square crop and one at 2:1. They were all mounted in standard 20x16" (exhibition standard) mounts, with apertures of 15x10" for the standard shots, 17x7.5 for the 2:1 and 10" square. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

Return to “Photography”