Project 52: Topic of the Week (Original discussion)

Ooh look, a handy place to keep personal projects without them getting lost in the main photo thread..
Richard Olpin
Site Admin
Distinctions: LRPS

Project 52: Topic of the Week (Original discussion)

Postby Richard Olpin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:56 pm

EDIT: updated for 2016! I've started a new thread for that is here but you may still find this one interesting for the original ideas

=====================================

Time to start thinking about another project then, last year I did a pic-a-day, this year I've done a shoot/theme of the week. I'd like to do something similar for next year, but it would be a lot more fun if a few more people got involved.

I'd love to hear some ideas.

Here are a few of mine for starters:
  • The best camera is the one in your hand - a genuine 365, one pic for every day of the year. Any subject, taken with any camera, mobile phones, compacts, webcam, SLR. It's all about seeing a possible shot and taking it. Every day.
  • Topic of the week - As I've done this year. Each week you post a set of 7 shots of one subject/location. I think I'd like to add a provision that they don't all have to be taken during one shoot as long as the theme is consistent.
  • Topic of the week 2, everyone can suggest topics, we stick them all into the mix and choose one per week which we all shoot.
  • Topic of the week 3 - as above, except you can choose any topic from the list for your set each week, aiming to do all of them at some point during the year. (I like this idea a lot, and we could include some group shoots / walkabouts etc.)
  • Topic of the week - As I've done this year. Each week you post a set of 7 shots of one subject/location. They don't all have to be taken during one shoot.
  • Monthly photo competition - We pick a theme, post some pics and then whoever picked the theme chooses the winner (or a top three which we vote on). The winner chooses next months topic.
Those are just a few for starters. Love to hear your ideas!

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Re: Group project for 2012?

Postby Richard Olpin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:17 pm

So far the chats off the forum seem to favour option 3, making a group pool of topics which we can pick individually at any time, and post one completed topic per week.

Be nice to discuss it on here a bit more though so that everyone can have their say!

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:32 pm

This is just my starter for ten...

Suggestions for topics:

Seasonal/ Time based
Springtime, Summer Sun, Autumn Colour, Winter, Christmas
Early Morning, Sunset, After Dark

Locations
Landscape, At the Beach, Woods & Trees
Cityscapes, Urban, Urban Decay
Structures, Architechture
Water, Moving Water

Wildlife
Flora, Trees, Flowers
Fauna, Animals, Birds, At the Zoo

Techniques
Close-up
Macro
Depth of Field
Wide Angle
Long exposure
Freezing Movement

Photography Styles
Monochrome
Selective Colour
HDR
High Key/Low Key

Lighting
Natural Light
Artificial Light
Off-camera flash
On-camera flash
Light Trails
Light Painting

Composition
Alternative Viewpoints
Juxtaposition

Focal Point
Everything in Focus
Nothing in Focus

Natural Frames
"Out of place"

People
Portraits
Street Photography
Candid

Random ideas
Music
Travel
Transport

Gareth Cox

Postby Gareth Cox » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Really like all the suggestions Rich. Working on my list and will aim to get up this week. Quite a few the same but thinking of some others. Stuff I like and ones that I think will take me out of my comfort zone.

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:59 am

Really like all the suggestions Rich. Working on my list and will aim to get up this week. Quite a few the same but thinking of some others. Stuff I like and ones that I think will take me out of my comfort zone.
Get it up anyway, that was when the others all come rushing in with their suggestions *cough cough* they'll have some more ideas.

Gareth Cox

Postby Gareth Cox » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:45 pm

Right, after writing this a while ago whilst sat in the pub I have looked over it and decided it should be posted. 2 weeks and we all have to decide on what to do for 2012. So here it is:

2012 Photog Ideas

Industrial - factories, housing, chimneys
Modern - Building, offices, art, sculpture
Macro - wildlife, nature, people
People - Portrait, Candid, Street
Flash - Portrait, Macro, Building
Night - Portrait, Buildings, Street
Depth of field
Night out - party
A day in the life of
Pets
Best Friend
Girlfriend/Boyfriend
Work
Letter and Numbers
Water
Reflection
Mid Winter
Winter to Spring change
Mid Spring
Spring to Summer change
Mid Summer
Summer to Autumn change
Mid Autumn
Autumn to Winter
What the seasons mean to you
Mobile Phone
Morning start
Evening in

Richard Olpin
Site Admin

Postby Richard Olpin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:01 pm

So, is anyone else going to:

a) Actually come up with any suggestions?
b) Join in?

Thomas Mcmark Price

Postby Thomas Mcmark Price » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:07 pm

Weather- Lightning, Snow, Rain,Sun...
Colours- in nature/architecture/...
Reflections-water,glass,ice...
urban/city life
urban wildlife, bit challenging.
celebrations/holidays- haloween,xmas,easter,fireworks...
candid

Gareth Cox

Postby Gareth Cox » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:19 am

How does a get together sound between now and New Year to have a chat about ideas so far, new ideas, and general chat about the advent calendar project. Who's around over the next couple of weeks (apart from the obvious days)???

Gareth Cox

Postby Gareth Cox » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:05 pm

So Advent Calendar Challenge comes to an end with most people completing it. Now guys and girls we really need to get a finalised list of ideas for 2012. The 52 week challenge has been the main talk and only 3 people (me, Rich, and Tom) have come up with the ideas. Whilst you lot are nursing hangovers, full bellies or just being pure lazy why don't you think of just a handful of subjects and build it from there. Its not hard because you know what you like and maybe what you would like to try. Anything you have seen on here, 500px, or Flickr where you have gone 'That looks awesome but not sure how to do it' or 'Wow, would love to give that a go' then write it down.

We need to meet this week as the challenge technically starts on Sunday to finalise the subjects and then we can just go for it.

Rich can you contact people you have emails/numbers for that I don't to get this sorted. Hey it might just be me and you mate but would really like it to get the gang all getting involved.

Return to “Projects”